Tuesday, November 12, 2013

November 2013 Oscar Predictions: Best Actor

Part 3 of 8 for my November 2013 Oscar Predictions, this time for Best Actor. I'm going to run through the top 15 contenders, then provide a nugget of analysis. Are you ready to not be completely flabbergasted?

1. Chiwitel Ejiofor: "12 Years a Slave"
2. Robert Redford: "All is Lost"
3. Tom Hanks: "Captain Phillips"
4. Matthew McConaughey: "Dallas Buyers Club"
5. Christian Bale: "American Hustle"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
6. Bruce Dern: "Nebraska"
7. Oscar Isaac: "Inside Llewyn Davis"
8. Forrest Whitaker: "Lee Daniels' The Butler"
9. Leonardo Dicaprio: "The Wolf of Wall Street"
10. Joaquin Phoenix: "Her"
11. Idris Elba: "Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom"
12. Mark Wahlberg: "Lone Survivor"
13. Hugh Jackman: "Prisoners"
14. Ben Stiller: "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty"
15. Michael B. Jordan: "Fruitvale Station"

Analysis: Chiwitel Ejiofor seems to have the edge, as everyone who has seen the film cites him as a standout. However, Robert Redford hasn't won an Oscar for acting before, so that could work to his advantage. Tom Hanks delivers a superb performance, and if the academy looks at those last 15 minutes in particular, he has a very real shot of winning. I've backed off on McConaughey quite a bit, since the buzz for the movie has been dwindling, but I still see him getting nominated. For the final slot, I debated whether or not I should put Bruce Dern in, but the way I'm going with my American Hustle love, I can't see the academy embracing the film THAT much and leaving Christian Bale out, so he fills in my final slot.

Did I make a mistake putting Christian Bale in instead of Bruce Dern? Should I go back to the top 20? Is Bruce Willis going to surprise from either A Good Day to Die Hard or RED 2? Comment below...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contributors