Sunday, September 21, 2014

Movie Review: This is Where I Leave You

Rated R
103 minutes
Directed by Shawn Levy

When I saw this movie, there wasn't a Shawn Levy film I'd seen that I didn't like on the initial viewing. He's far from my favorite filmmaker, but all his movies have come out at the right time in my life. The Night at the Museum franchise came out at the right time for me, I was in the mood for Real Steel when I saw it, and the few minutes of The Internship I saw were so hilariously bad that I couldn't help but really like it for being that bad. However, This is Where I Leave You was a step out of his comfort zone, so I had no idea whether or not it was going to work for me, initially at least. I liked the trailers, but mainly because they used the right music at the right times. But, I'm pleased to report that the streak continues.

This is Where I Leave You is a sweet film about family. Sure, there are broad comedy scenes, mostly involving Adam Driver, but it's mostly a drama. There's a bunch of heartbreak and heart gain in this movie, but it never feels reductive, instead having a halfway honest feel, similar to the one gained in Delivery Man. This inherent honesty derives from two main things: the script and half the actors. The script gives the actors stuff to chew on, and it was the dialogue that made it feel real. I didn't get that they were a bunch of stereotypes, but real and honest people.

One of the more honest characters is played by Jason Bateman, who's straight up his wheelhouse, but that doesn't mean he doesn't push himself a bit. The scene where he finds his wife cheating on him is heartbreaking, feeling brutally honest and being anchored by Bateman's strong performance. The comedic standout, as stated above, is Adam Driver, who never slows down, but always feels real as the black sheep. And oddly enough, even though she has nothing to do, Kathryn Hahn is likably low key after her shrill and over the top performance in We're the Millers.

However, I said half the cast was good, but the other half is a different story. Tina Fey is worst-in-show, as she can't do serious here, and her constant pining for the neighbor across the street felt comparable to a soap-opera. Corey Stoll is entirely wasted, as he's halfway forgotten a lot of the time, sometimes disappearing for 20 or so minutes.

After the soundtrack in the trailer, I was expecting some great musical cues. However, a bit more than 24 hours after seeing the film, I don't remember anything about the score or any songs in the film. That's unfortunate, because if there's one thing I was expecting, it was this film to have some good music, which is rare in major studio film.

Shawn Levy has never been a great director. But, he may be one of the most versatile mainstream directors, going from kid's fare to action movie to raunchy comedy to family drama, mostly well. That's kind of ballsy. He's never had a cast this stacked before, no material like this at all, so the fact he pulls it off is quite cool in my book. Sweet, funny, and mostly well acted, This is Where I Leave You is a small film with large goals, and while it doesn't quite get there, it's still a solid hit.

3/5

B-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contributors