Saturday, July 19, 2014

Movie Review: Chef


Rated PG-13
115 minutes
Directed by Jon Favreau


I used to be enamored with cooking. I watched a bunch of Food Network shows, I took a lot of cooking classes, and I really liked eating high-quality food. I still like eating great food, but the other stuff I just left behind as I got older. I still cook a lot for lunch, and I know what foods go together, but that's it. This didn't reignite any passion I had for cooking or anything like that, but it sure made me hungry, especially since I didn't eat beforehand.

This is just a pleasant movie to watch. It can be overly coincidental at times, but it's a pleasant and happy story. The feeling of emotion that Favreau can get and emote from the actors and himself bring the movie down to earth from the coincidence. The feeling of honest humor without being too bawdy or outrageous is a rather refreshing change of pace from humor in blockbusters. The slight parallel between this and Favreau's career is mostly effective. The best thing I can say about this is that it didn't feel too long or overblown, it was quick, done, and pleasant.

However, the worst thing I can say about this movie is that it's too coincidental, and it feels a bit too out there in terms of character development and how people act for situations. The fact that the food truck gains such a big audience in Miami Beach without having any other exposure or publicity beforehand feels a bit coincidental, as does the fact that everyone loves the food and swarms around it. There are certain character decisions that are made by Favreau and the food critic of the movie that just go against the character that was established throughout the rest of the movie. I unfortunately didn't get a true wow moment in this film. There were elements that were close to being wow-worthy, such as the 1 second a day video, but it didn't quite get there. Also, the ending, while happy and satisfying, didn't quite work given the events and the attitudes given in the rest of the movie.

All in all, Chef is, as I've said before and will continue to say, is pleasant. It isn't astonishing or ground-breaking. It embraces a formula and comes out on top because of it. It isn't quite Top 10 worthy, but it's good enough for a solid honorable mention roll February.

3/5

B-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contributors