Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Final 2014 Oscar Nomination Predictions

I'm going to be quick, though not as quick as the Golden Globe winner predictions (I scored 7/14... yeesh) I will provide analysis for Best Picture only, because I have nothing to say about the other categories. I have safe bets, I have big risks, and all that good stuff. So when you're sitting on your couch at 5:30 PST in the morning, remember these. These are major categories only, because I'm too much of a wuss to predict below-the-line categories. Best Picture has 10 films, because I don't predict cut-off points. They're just the 10 most likely.
Best Picture:
1. 12 Years a Slave
2. American Hustle
3. Gravity
4. Captain Phillips
5. Nebraska
6. Dallas Buyers Club
7. Her
8. The Wolf of Wall Street
9. Inside Llewyn Davis
10. Rush
Alt. Saving Mr. Banks

Analysis: The first 9 are fairly standard, but the number 10 is my huge risk. I've always had this feeling about Rush, since I first heard of it. The academy announced that Chris Hemsworth will be announcing the nominations with the president of the academy. While it's probably him just to get more ratings, I have a sneaking suspicion that when they got the results of the nominations in, the Academy realized what they could do, and got Hemsworth. I'm pretty sure I'm reading too much into it, but I have to go with my gut.

Best Director:
1. Alfonso Cuaron, Gravity
2. David O. Russell, American Hustle
3. Steve McQueen, 12 Years a Slave
4. Paul Greengrass, Captain Phillips
5. Martin Scorsese, The Wolf of Wall Street
Alt. Alexander Payne, Nebraska

Best Actor:
1. Chiwitel Ejiofor, 12 Years a Slave
2. Matthew McConaughey, Dallas Buyers Club
3. Bruce Dern, Nebraska
4. Tom Hanks, Captain Phillips
5. Leonardo DiCaprio, The Wolf of Wall Street
Alt. Robert Redford, All is Lost

Best Actress:
1. Cate Blanchett, Blue Jasmine
2. Sandra Bullock, Gravity
3. Emma Thompson, Saving Mr. Banks
4. Amy Adams, American Hustle
5. Meryl Streep, August: Osage County
Alt. Judi Dench, Philomena

Best Supporting Actor:
1. Jared Leto, Dallas Buyers Club
2. Michael Fassbender, 12 Years a Slave
3. Barkhad Abdi, Captain Phillips
4. Daniel Bruhl, Rush
5. Bradley Cooper, American Hustle
Alt. James Gandolfini, Enough Said

Best Supporting Actress:
1. Lupita Nyong'o, 12 Years a Slave
2. Jennifer Lawrence, American Hustle
3. Oprah Winfrey, The Butler
4. June Squibb, Nebraska
5. Julia Roberts, August: Osage County
Alt. Sally Hawkins, Blue Jasmine

Best Adapted Screenplay:
1. 12 Years a Slave
2. Captain Phillips
3. Philomena
4. Before Midnight
5. The Wolf of Wall Street
Alt. August: Osage County

Best Original Screenplay:
1. American Hustle
2. Her
3. Dallas Buyers Club
4. Nebraska
5. Blue Jasmine
Alt. Inside Llewyn Davis

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contributors