Friday, January 24, 2014

Top 10 Films of 2013


All in all, 2013 was a pretty good year for film. I was able to expand my film tastes significantly, but that doesn't mean I'm not impartial to a blockbuster. I got excited for many a film this year, and more often than not, the movie delivered. I wasn't always impressed, but when I was, I truly was. There's so much I liked that it pained me to keep certain films off the list. I wanted to celebrate this year as much as possible, but ultimately, I have to keep it to the top 10. After the jump, you will find my top 10, alongside honorable mentions. This was quite a year. Let's hope 2014 can be just as good.


Honorable Mentions
The Great Gatsby
Much Ado About Nothing
Ender's Game
Oblivion
Jobs
42
NOTE: While I liked Catching Fire as much as these films, I liked The Hunger Games the same amount and that steadily got worse for me. If Catching Fire holds up, I'll put it on this list.

Top 10 Films of 2013

10. World War Z
Despite a questionable sequence in Israel, the score, the shots, some social commentary, especially tense sequences, and an amazing 3rd act make this one the best summer blockbuster of 2013. 

9. The Way Way Back
Even though I really overrated it in my initial thoughts, I couldn't bear to leave this one off. It was funny with the right amount of drama to make it seem genuine. The performance by Sam Rockwell really elevated this one to being especially memorable.

8. Blue Jasmine
As my 3rd Woody Allen, Blue Jasmine isn't as great as Midnight in Paris. But you have to judge film without any bias. And without bias, Blue Jasmine was a good film. Woody did an excellent job making us hate Jasmine, and the performances by the whole cast sealed the deal.

7. Captain Phillips
It was already a very well crafted film the whole movie before, with most everyone doing an excellent job raising the tension, but man do those final 15 minutes push this one over the edge with Tom Hanks performing brilliantly.

6. Nebraska
It is comic to a great degree, and it had me chuckling to myself for quite a while. The stylistic choice of black and white was perfect and it was nailed in some aspects.

5. Her
Even though it does seem to be a lesser version of 500 Days of Summer by the smallest amount, it was beautiful, it had great themes and performances, and it took a thoughtful look at how we connect with other humans.

4. All is Lost
Harrowing and incredibly tense, All is Lost was an amazing one-man survival story. There were some messages to be unpacked, Robert Redford proves to be a very versatile actor, and that score and that cinematography was beautiful.

3. Mud
Just writing the title made me excited all over again. This was one of the pure gems from early in the year. It took a wonderful look at childhood in the south and the pure joy of being innocent. It was just beautiful and it stuck with me the whole year.

2. Inside Llewyn Davis
I didn't think when I first saw it, that this movie would be this high up. But I thought about it more and more, and the more I thought, the more it got better. There's so much to love, from the performances to the symbolism to the technicals to the script and to the cat. I just thought it was incredibly close to being nailed.

1. Gravity
Alfonso, you outdid yourself. From the astonishing vision you had, you executed it almost flawlessly. From the spiritual undertones to the great performances you got out of Bullock and Clooney, you never stopped. Your hard work payed off. Gravity was freaking brilliant. I loved every second of it, and would instantly watch it again. Amazing.

(that photo didn't turn out like I wanted it to, but I'm still happy with it)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contributors